Tuesday, August 31, 2010

commuting to uni

I planned for the worst-case but the journey was pretty much spot-on prediction. That put me on campus 25 minutes before class started. Breakfast was something to mull about. Originally I thought that the Subway $2 deal would be something good to take advantage of. However my optimised route bypasses any reasonable store with annoying efficiency.
Today I found traffic lights annoying. I think my previous journeys on foot and two wheels have had too-optimised paths and I'm not used to waiting for light changes. On the other hand, I think I'm becoming more confident with lane changing... funnily enough from being on a bike rather than in a car.
Two layers of clothing is more than enough and I found myself short on luggage stowage once the jacket came off. Riding with a tshirt with vest was quite a good compromise.
Hills remained annoyingly slow, with a instantaneous speed of around 10km/h. On flats I managed 35km/h. Downhill, but not today, I've managed 45km/h before my eyes water so much that I can't read the display.
Classmates enjoyed seeing the helmet-mounted mirror and remarked on the rear-weighting and the thinner tyres.
I'm not all that pleased about my front derailleur. It seems to fail in changing a fair bit. Cornering was a challenge with the full load.
All up it was quite a good first run. 48 minutes for a 11.5km run with full-load. That's pretty much the same as the bus ride with walking to the bus stop.

2 comments:

  1. since you're not driving in the city its not very jammed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, it's more that I'm taking residential streets and past Sam's house. When I'm on the main roads it's still quite busy.

    ReplyDelete