Sunday, January 9, 2011

A long journey home

I had the goal of returning to Melbourne on Christmas Eve at minimal cost. Finishing the work day at noon, I cycled home and managed to fill up the garbage bin with more branches, made some sandwiches from the remaining ingredients and set out to the airport by public transport. Not wanting to pay for the comparatively expensive Airliner service which arrives at the terminal, I boarded the second-last #10 service.
As an aside, when walking around Canberra streets, I notice a lot of alcohol bottles discarded. The difference here is that they're often not empty. They must be too rich to care.
The #10 winds through some interesting places which don't normally necessitate a visit. The War Memorial - fair enough. The next half hour involved going through ADFA, winding back for Campbell defence offices, Majura business park but not the Brand Depot etc... I got off at Brindabella business park and walked the last kilometre to the terminal. At most there were three passengers and that was near the start of the ride.
Well, that meant I arrived ridiculously early for my flight. That was alright though - I could kill some time by writing up part of my internship report. Well, things turned out differently.

I probably could have gotten home faster using surface transport. Indeed there were two empty seats on the actual flight - perhaps those two found alternative arrangements. It was also nice to catch up with a former Phonetec employee who happened to be seated across the aisle from me. Funnily enough, his other half doesn't approve of Tiger flights and how it affects her waiting at the airport.
Getting out on the other side was a joke. Terminal 4 Melbourne Airport is just a shed. Found my parents waiting at the regular terminal... one that actually looks like a building. And that was 0130 Christmas Day. I was originally planning to take the 901 Smartbus to Blackburn.

Total journey ~ 11 hours.
Transport expenditure $91.21 plus parents' petrol.

No comments:

Post a Comment